So many diets.
Keto, low fat, intermittent fasting, carb cycling, carb backloading, paleo, clean eating, gluten free, to name a few.
So many supplements.
Fat burners, CLA, meal replacements, green tea extract, to name a few.
So many methods of cardio.
Fasted, fed, HIIT, LISS, MISS, to name a few.
These are potentially 10 things you are focusing on when embarking on a fat loss phase ready for summer that bears absolutely no relevance to your overall outcome.
1. Gluten – Unless diagnosed with an allergy or intolerance by a medical professional, not some gimp at the gym. Then there’s no reason to avoid gluten in the slightest.
2. Whether you perform HIIT, LISS or any other style of cardio – If you have a rough guide of how many calories are expending and you equate them to create the same deficit, fat loss will be the same.
3. Carb timing – What time you eat your carbs will not immediately affect your fat loss efforts.
4. Meal timing – Meal timing will also not affect your fat loss efforts, you do not have to eat every 3 hours on the dot.
5. Amount of meals – You do not have to eat 6-7 small meals a day to “stoke” the metabolism. This is utter rubbish.
6. Adrenal fatigue – This does not exist. You are not too stressed to lose body fat.
7. Skipping breakfast – Your body does not go into starvation mode and shut down. The notion is utterly ridiculous. Think about what you are saying: “not eating makes weight loss slower”. How?
8. Cheat meals – Do not “boost” the metabolism to the extent that counter-balances the often huge influx of calories. What you are doing is dropping water after lowering cortisol or compensating by increasing your energy output. but certainly not turning your metabolism into a roaring fire. Otherwise, you would have one every meal.
9. Eating carbs – Carbs do not make you fat. Bread does not make you fat. Pasta does not make you fat. Sugar does not make you fat.
10. Whether you perform fasted or fed cardio – Again, either can be used and should be preferential. Mechanistically, there’s no difference in fat loss if calories again are equated.
And you know what I am going to follow this up with the 1 thing that actually does affect fat loss.
Because that’s all you need.
Focus on this 1 thing and disregard the above 10.
1. Adhere to a long term calorie deficit – Ensuring that over a chronic period you have expended more calories than you have consumed is the 1 thing you should focus on.
It’s simple. But not easy.
But it’s certainly easier to focus on 1 thing that actually matters, than 10 things that don’t.
Feel free to add your own common misconceptions regarding fat loss, there’s way more than 10!
Unknown source. We loved it and wanted to share.